What you need to know from this weekend’s bulletin:
Join us after the 5 p.m. Mass this Sunday, December 1, for an evening of food and fellowship! Please bring any food item to share.
Praise and Worship Night – New
Join us for a praise and worship night on Sunday, December 8, from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., led by our NET missionaries. All are welcome.
Giving Tuesday – New
Tuesday, December 3, is a day dedicated to charitable giving. During this season of Advent, we knock on the door of your generous heart and invite you to make a donation to St. Michael’s and keep us in mind for your year-end giving. Donate online by visiting saintmichael.ca/giving. Thanks for your sacrificial offering!
Advent & Christmas High School Choral Festival
Save the date: once again, St. Michael’s is thrilled to host the choirs of Calgary’s Catholic high schools during this year’s Advent & Christmas High School Choral Festival. Treat the whole family to an evening of beautiful choral music and get in the Christmas spirit! When: Tuesday, December 3 at 7 p.m. This is an amazing and beautiful annual event, so extend this invitation to your family and friends — you won’t be disappointed!
Armatus Traning for Volunteers
All volunteers in medium or high-risk roles are asked to complete the Armatus online training modules. While this can be done individually and online at saintmichael.ca/volunteer, we are facilitating a group session to help volunteers complete the modules in a quick and timely manner. The next session will be held at St. Mary’s Chapel on Wednesday, December 4 at 7 p.m. If you are able to attend, please register by emailing Marvin at firstname.lastname@example.org indicating that you will be attending. Only the first four modules will be covered during the session, the remaining modules, while mandatory, can be completed at your convenience online.
24-Hour Eucharistic Adoration – New
Spend time with Jesus in the Blessed Sacrament during our 24-hour Eucharistic Adoration on Friday, December 6, following the 9 a.m. Mass. Sign up for a slot outside the Blessed Sacrament Chapel, or online.
Our Stocking Tree Outreach is in its 30th Year – New
Fill a pair of socks with essentials for daily living such as: underwear, mitts, gloves, toques, Kleenex packets, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, bandages, shampoo, razors, shaving cream and, if you have room, candy bars. Hang the stockings onto the Stocking Tree in the sanctuary. These stockings will be delivered to the Drop-In Centre this Christmas. Thanks for your generosity!
Poinsettias in Memory Loved One – New
Parishioners are invited to help decorate the sanctuary this Christmas by purchasing a poinsettia in memory of a loved one. Order forms are available in the gathering area. You can drop off your completed form along with your payment ($30/poinsettia) in the collection basket during Mass or at the parish office by Wednesday, December 18.
Christmas Hamper Day 2019
- Many thanks for your outpouring of support! All donated food has now been counted and will be included in our hampers. special thanks to St. Joan of Arc, St. Michael, John Costello, and Guardian Angel schools for their food drives. But there’s still time for you to support us! Monetary donations to the SSVP are used to purchase any shortfall as well as grocery gift cards for inclusion with the hampers. You can drop a cash or cheque donation in the SSVP collection box located by the alcove, or online at saintmichael.ca/giving.
- Thanks to all who generously responded to our call for volunteers last week. Most needs have been filled; however, if you missed the sign up and would still like to help please email us at email@example.com.
- Angel Tree: this weekend, we will be distributing the last remaining gift tags from our Angel Tree during the Sunday 9 and 11 a.m. Masses. Shop for the special gift listed on the back and return it to the donation box by noon next Sunday, December 8, to ensure it is included with the hamper intended for the child’s family. We also welcome donations of gift bags, wrapping paper, and tape — please leave donated items in the Angel Tree box located near the St. Nichols (Kids Kingdom) room.
- Hamper requests: please note that we can only provide hampers for individuals/families within our parish area. Further, any hamper request must be made through the SSVP intake line at 403-249-0423 ext. 122.
- Hamper delivery and police checks: please note that diocesan policy requires all volunteers to fill out a Volunteer Information Form and a Model Code of Conduct, which can be downloaded at saintmichael.ca/volunteer. Please complete these forms and drop them off at the parish office. Also, a Vulnerable Sector Police Information Check (VSPIC) is required for those delivering hampers. If delivering as a group, at least one person in the group going to the household must have a valid VSPIC. (Note: it takes approx. three weeks to complete this check, so the process should be started as soon as possible). Lastly, all those volunteering to deliver hampers must also complete the Armatus training module: you can join in the group session on Wednesday, December 4 (see announcement above), or complete the online modules at your convenience found under “Volunteer Resources” at saintmichael.ca/volunteer.
We appreciate your cooperation in completing the needed processes. If you require any further information, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Marvin Matthews, at firstname.lastname@example.org. General inquiries re: Hamper Program can be directed to email@example.com.
Voices of Grief
If you are grieving from the loss of a loved one, know someone who does, or if you’re interested in knowing how to successfully navigate through grief, you are invited to a film screening of Voices of Grief on Saturday, December 7 at 9:55 a.m. For more details or to watch the trailer, click here.
How can we pray for you? – New
Prayer Ministry teams will be available at St. Mary’s Chapel (formerly Day Chapel) following all Masses next weekend for those who want to be prayed for.
New Women’s Ministry Study: Lectio
Lectio Prayer is a 6-week, video-based study program on Lectio Divina and the intimate spirituality of praying with the Sacred Scriptures. Women are invited to this study which begins on January 16, 2020 with morning and evening sessions available. Cost for the study guide is $20. To register, click here. If you have any further questions, contact the Women’s Ministry at Womensministry@saintmichael.ca.
Join the Parish Stewardship Committee
Now that our 60th anniversary is coming to an end, what direction is God asking us to take for the next 60 years? We need a “GPS” through Giving, Prayer, and Serving. If you are interested in joining St. Michael’s new Stewardship Committee to help develop and shepherd our parish stewardship plan, please review the committee description found online at saintmichael.ca/vision. You can express your interest by emailing Rosanne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family Christmas Event
All parishioners are invited on Friday, December 13 from 6 to 8 p.m. for St. Michael’s family Christmas event. There will be a Christmas pageant featuring Kids Kingdom and ROOTS Youth, followed by a potluck dinner. All are welcome!
Cancelled events: Marriage Encounter & Family Retreat – New
Please note that the Marriage Encounter drop-in circle scheduled for Friday, December 6, has been cancelled.
Also, the family retreat originally scheduled on Saturday, December 7, has been postponed to a later date. If you have any questions, please email Nolan at email@example.com.
Moms and Tots: Upcoming Events
In addition to our weekly coffee fellowship, here are some upcoming notable events: December 6: cookie exchange and social— bring two dozen cookies if you’d like to participate • December 13: Christmas party. See our full schedule at saintmichael.ca/momsandtots.
60th Anniversary wind-Up: Pancake Breakfast – New
The Knights of Columbus will be hosting a pancake breakfast after the morning Masses on Sunday, December 15, to celebrate the end of our 60th anniversary year. All are invited! Free-will donations welcome.
Alpha: Is there more to life than this?
- Alpha is an opportunity to explore the big questions in life in a friendly, open, and informal environment; a series of interactive sessions exploring the basics of the Christian faith. Each session begins with a free meal, followed by a video, then an open discussion. Alpha begins on Wednesday, January 15 until March 25: sign up today at saintmichael.ca/alpha.
- Volunteer: If you’ve taken Alpha before, we ask that you prayerfully consider giving back and help others know Jesus this January: we need people to serve in meal prep teams, as small group leaders, greeters, and more. If you belong to a home group, this is a perfect opportunity to serve together! To volunteer, email Sandy at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-249-0423 ext. 129.
Chalice: Help Children in Developing Countries
Chalice, a Canadian Catholic sponsorship organization, invites you to share the blessings of Christmas with children in the developing world by purchasing gifts from their Christmas Gift Catalogue. This gives you the opportunity to purchase a gift on behalf of a loved one and receive an official tax receipt. Thanks to your generous giving, 50,000 children in 15 countries will have increased access to education, health, and family livelihood. Gift catalogues are available in the gathering area and online at www.chalice.ca.
YOU: Life, Love, and the Theology of the Body
In an age of selfies and egocentrism, YOU cuts through the noise to present an authentic view of the human person. It presents young people with the extraordinary story of their creation as unrepeatable individuals and introduces participants to the truth that life is not all about them; it is about going out of themselves to be a sincere gift for others. This program is open to anyone 13+, especially teens and their families. When: Wednesdays, Jan. 22 to Feb. 26, 2020, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. • Cost: $20 for the study book. Register online at saintmichael.ca/faithformation.
See the bulletin for more announcements
1st Sunday of Advent, 01/12/2019, 1.18 MB