What you need to know from this weekend’s bulletin:
How can we pray for you?
Prayer Ministry teams will be available at St. Mary’s Chapel (formerly Day Chapel) following all Masses this weekend for those who want to be prayed for.
Waiting for Christ: Women’s Ministry Advent Retreat
(Erratum: last week’s bulletin has been checked and found to be in error — this is not a free event and costs $15 to attend). All women parishioners are invited to this year’s Waiting for Christ Advent retreat. Come and be renewed this Advent as we wait for the joyful coming of our Lord this Christmas! When: Thursday, November 21, from 7 to 9 p.m. at St. Mary’s Chapel. Cost is $15 and those attending will receive a copy of St. John Henry Newman’s Waiting for Christ. If you have any questions, please contact the Women’s Ministry at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Advent & Christmas High School Choral Festival
Save the date: once again, St. Michael’s is thrilled to host the choirs of Calgary’s Catholic high schools during this year’s Advent & Christmas High School Choral Festival. Treat the whole family to an evening of beautiful choral music and get in the Christmas spirit! When: Tuesday, December 3 at 7 p.m. This is an amazing and beautiful annual event, so extend this invitation to your family and friends — you won’t be disappointed!
Family Christmas Event
All parishioners are invited on Friday, December 13 from 6 to 8 p.m. for St. Michael’s family Christmas event. There will be a Christmas pageant featuring Kids Kingdom and ROOTS Youth, followed by a potluck dinner. All are welcome!
Christmas Hamper Day 2019
- This weekend, we get serious about hampers! Help us meet all requests for a hamper: visit the Volunteer Table in the gathering area after Mass and sign up to assist on Hamper Day, or take home a Share Sunday grocery bag and return it next week with some of our needed items. All food donated before December 1 will find its way into a hamper. After that time, we purchase anything else we need: so if you prefer, you can make a cash or cheque donation of any amount in the Society of St. Vincent de Paul collection box — this will enable us to purchase any shortfall. If you want to deliver this year, please check out the volunteer requirements below or stop by the volunteer table.
- Angel Tree: Purchase a gift! Our Angel Tree will be available after Masses on November 23-24 and November 30-December 1. Choose an angel from the tree, shop for the gift wished for by that child, and return it by noon on December 8 to ensure it is included with the hamper intended for the child’s family.
- Hamper delivery and police checks: Interested in delivering hampers? Please note that diocesan policy requires the following: 1) all volunteers are required to fill out a Volunteer Information Form and our Model Code of Conduct, which can be downloaded at saintmichael.ca/volunteer. Please complete these forms and drop them off at the parish office. 2) A Vulnerable Sector Police Information Check (VSPIC) is required for those delivering hampers. If delivering as a group, at least one person in the group going to the household must have a valid VSPIC. (Note: it takes approx. three weeks to complete this check, so the process should be started as soon as possible). Lastly, all those volunteering to deliver hampers must also complete the Armatus training module. The online guide to the modules can be found under “Volunteer Resources” at saintmichael.ca/volunteer.
We appreciate your cooperation in completing the needed processes. If you require any further information, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Marvin Matthews, at email@example.com. General inquiries re: Hamper Program can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Armatus Traning for Volunteers – New
All volunteers in medium or high-risk roles are asked to complete the Armatus online training modules. While this can be done individually and online at saintmichael.ca/volunteer, we are facilitating a group session to help volunteers complete the modules in a quick and timely manner. The next session will be held at St. Mary’s Chapel on Wednesday, December 4 at 7 p.m. If you are able to attend, please register by emailing Marvin at email@example.com indicating that you will be attending. Only the first four modules will be covered during the session, the remaining modules, while mandatory, can be completed at your convenience online.
Moms and Tots: Upcoming Events
In addition to our weekly coffee fellowship, here are some upcoming notable events: November 22: Parenting for Faith testimonial from a parishioner on how she raised her kids in the Catholic faith • December 6: cookie exchange and social—bring two dozen cookies if you’d like to participate. See our full schedule at saintmichael.ca/momsandtots.
60th Anniversary Concert
- In celebration of our 60th anniversary, we’re inviting all parishioners to St. Michael’s 60th Anniversary Concert, happening Friday, November 22. The evening will feature St. Michael’s music ministry led by Jim Howells and The Inspirition Band (Sunday 5 p.m. music ministry) led by Demetrio Navarro. There will be a meet and greet at 7 p.m., followed by the concert at 7:30 until 9 p.m. Following the concert will be a wine and cheese social in the gathering area (with cash bar) until 10:30 p.m.
- Volunteers needed: we are in need of volunteers who will help make this final event of our anniversary celebration a huge success! Several volunteer positions are available beginning at 1 p.m. to midnight including setup, decoration, kitchen preparation, serving food/drinks, and cleanup. Interested? Please email Noreen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the Parish Stewardship Committee – New
Now that our 60th anniversary is coming to an end, what direction is God asking us to take for the next 60 years? We need a “GPS” through Giving, Prayer, and Serving. If you are interested in joining St. Michael’s new Stewardship Committee to help develop and shepherd our parish stewardship plan, please review the committee description found online at saintmichael.ca/vision. You can express your interest by emailing Rosanne at email@example.com.
Catholic Women’s League – New
- Diocesan Advent retreat: all CWL members are invited to the Advent retreat with Fr. Jonathan Gibson held at St. Mark’s Parish (5552 Madigan Dr. NE) on Saturday, November 30, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Registration is $20 and includes lunch. Registration form is available online at saintmichael.ca/CWL.
- Christmas social: all Knights and CWL are invited to the Christmas potluck social on Saturday, December 7 at 6 p.m. The Knights are providing turkey and ham, while CWL members are asked to potluck items to share such as veggies, salad, or dessert. There will also be a cash wine bar. Please RSVP by December 1 to Debbie at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Family Retreat – New
We’re inviting families to join in our first family retreat, happening Saturday, December 7, from 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. right here at St. Michael’s. Come be renewed in your faith this Advent and enjoy a day of inspiring talks, praise and worship, and more. This retreat is open to everyone. Cost: free-will offering/suggested donation of $20. Sign up at the parish office or email Nolan at email@example.com (403-249-0423 ext. 130).
Hospitality Ministers for Christmas and New Year’s – New
To all members of St. Michael’s Hospitality Ministry: we will be using an online sign up for this year’s Christmas and New Year’s Masses. Watch out for a Flocknote email on Monday, November 18, with the sign up link. If you are a hospitality minister, be sure you’re signed up on Flocknote—if you aren’t yet, sign up at www.flocknote.com/smcyyc.
Alpha: Is there more to life than this? – New
- Alpha is an opportunity to explore the big questions in life in a friendly, open, and informal environment; a series of interactive sessions exploring the basics of the Christian faith. Each session begins with a free meal, followed by a video, then an open discussion. Alpha begins on Wednesday, January 15 until March 25: sign up today at saintmichael.ca/alpha.
- Volunteer: If you’ve taken Alpha before, we ask that you prayerfully consider giving back and help others know Jesus this January: we need people to serve in meal prep teams, as small group leaders, greeters, and more. If you belong to a home group, this is a perfect opportunity to serve together! To volunteer, email Sandy at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 403-249-0423 ext. 129.
Chalice: Help Children in Developing Countries – New
Chalice, a Canadian Catholic sponsorship organization, invites you to share the blessings of Christmas with children in the developing world by purchasing gifts from their Christmas Gift Catalogue. This gives you the opportunity to purchase a gift on behalf of a loved one and receive an official tax receipt. Thanks to your generous giving, 50,000 children in 15 countries will have increased access to education, health, and family livelihood. Gift catalogues are available in the gathering area and online at www.chalice.ca.
YOU: Life, Love, and the Theology of the Body – New
In an age of selfies and egocentrism, YOU cuts through the noise to present an authentic view of the human person. It presents young people with the extraordinary story of their creation as unrepeatable individuals and introduces participants to the truth that life is not all about them; it is about going out of themselves to be a sincere gift for others. This program is open to anyone 13+, especially teens and their families. When: Wednesdays, Jan. 22 to Feb. 26, 2020, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. • Cost: $20 for the study book. Register online at saintmichael.ca/faithformation.
See the bulletin for more announcements
33rd Sunday in Ordinary Time, 17/11/2019, 1.18 MB