What you need to know from this weekend’s bulletin:
New Women’s Ministry Study: Lectio – New
Lectio Prayer is a 6-week, video-based study program on Lectio Divina and the intimate spirituality of praying with the Sacred Scriptures. Women are invited to this study which begins on January 16, 2020 with morning and evening sessions available. Cost for the study guide is $20. To register, click here. If you have any further questions, contact the Women’s Ministry at Womensministry@saintmichael.ca.
Join the Parish Stewardship Committee
Now that our 60th anniversary is coming to an end, what direction is God asking us to take for the next 60 years? We need a “GPS” through Giving, Prayer, and Serving. If you are interested in joining St. Michael’s new Stewardship Committee to help develop and shepherd our parish stewardship plan, please review the committee description found online at saintmichael.ca/vision. You can express your interest by emailing Rosanne at email@example.com.
Grafted In – New
Join Don Swenson in the monthly talk series Grafted In: Reflections on the Jewish Roots of the Christian-Catholic Tradition and the Relationship Between Gentile and Jewish Believers in Jesus. The third talk this fall (The First Wound of Division: The Separation of the Gentile and Jewish Believers in Yeshua) will be on Wednesday, November 27 at 7 p.m. For more details, visit saintmichael.ca/events.
Potluck Sunday and Name Tag Weekend – New
Name Tag Weekend will be on November 30-December 1: be sure to grab a name tag at the gathering area before Mass. Also, join us after the Sunday 5 p.m. Mass on December 1 for an evening of food and fellowship! Please bring any food item to share.
English Language Learners – New
Please note that there will be no ELL class on Tuesday, November 26. We will resume on Tuesday, December 3.
Advent & Christmas High School Choral Festival
Save the date: once again, St. Michael’s is thrilled to host the choirs of Calgary’s Catholic high schools during this year’s Advent & Christmas High School Choral Festival. Treat the whole family to an evening of beautiful choral music and get in the Christmas spirit! When: Tuesday, December 3 at 7 p.m. This is an amazing and beautiful annual event, so extend this invitation to your family and friends — you won’t be disappointed!
Family Christmas Event
All parishioners are invited on Friday, December 13 from 6 to 8 p.m. for St. Michael’s family Christmas event. There will be a Christmas pageant featuring Kids Kingdom and ROOTS Youth, followed by a potluck dinner. All are welcome!
Christmas Hamper Day 2019
- Thanks to all who generously responded to our call for volunteers last week. Most needs have been filled; however, if you missed the sign up and would still like to help please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- This weekend, you can help by selecting an angel gift tag from our Angel Tree, which is available after all Masses this weekend and, possibly, next weekend until all angels are dispensed. Shop for the special gift listed on the back and return it to the donation box by noon on Sunday, December 8, to ensure it is included with the hamper intended for the child’s family.
- If you took home a Share Sunday grocery bag, return it with some of our needed items before December 1 to ensure that your donations will be included in a hamper. After that time, we will purchase anything else we need: if you prefer, you can make a cash or cheque donation of any amount in the Society of St. Vincent de Paul collection box.
- Hamper delivery and police checks: Interested in delivering hampers? Please note that diocesan policy requires all volunteers to fill out a Volunteer Information Form and a Model Code of Conduct, which can be downloaded at saintmichael.ca/volunteer. Please complete these forms and drop them off at the parish office. Also, a Vulnerable Sector Police Information Check (VSPIC) is required for those delivering hampers. If delivering as a group, at least one person in the group going to the household must have a valid VSPIC. (Note: it takes approx. three weeks to complete this check, so the process should be started as soon as possible). Lastly, all those volunteering to deliver hampers must also complete the Armatus training module: you can join in the group session on Wednesday, December 4 (see below), or complete the online modules at your convenience found under “Volunteer Resources” at saintmichael.ca/volunteer.
We appreciate your cooperation in completing the needed processes. If you require any further information, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Marvin Matthews, at email@example.com. General inquiries re: Hamper Program can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Armatus Traning for Volunteers
All volunteers in medium or high-risk roles are asked to complete the Armatus online training modules. While this can be done individually and online at saintmichael.ca/volunteer, we are facilitating a group session to help volunteers complete the modules in a quick and timely manner. The next session will be held at St. Mary’s Chapel on Wednesday, December 4 at 7 p.m. If you are able to attend, please register by emailing Marvin at email@example.com indicating that you will be attending. Only the first four modules will be covered during the session, the remaining modules, while mandatory, can be completed at your convenience online.
Voices of Grief – New
If you are grieving from the loss of a loved one, know someone who does, or if you’re interested in knowing how to successfully navigate through grief, you are invited to a film screening of Voices of Grief on Saturday, December 7 at 9:55 a.m. For more details or to watch the trailer, visit saintmichael.ca/events.
Marriage Encounter Drop-In – New
The next Drop-In Circle will be on Friday, December 6 at 7 p.m. This event is open to all couples who have attended a Marriage Encounter weekend in the past. If you have any questions, please contact Tammy at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Moms and Tots: Upcoming Events
In addition to our weekly coffee fellowship, here are some upcoming notable events: December 6: cookie exchange and social— bring two dozen cookies if you’d like to participate • December 13: Christmas party. See our full schedule at saintmichael.ca/momsandtots.
Alpha: Is there more to life than this?
- Alpha is an opportunity to explore the big questions in life in a friendly, open, and informal environment; a series of interactive sessions exploring the basics of the Christian faith. Each session begins with a free meal, followed by a video, then an open discussion. Alpha begins on Wednesday, January 15 until March 25: sign up today at saintmichael.ca/alpha.
- Volunteer: If you’ve taken Alpha before, we ask that you prayerfully consider giving back and help others know Jesus this January: we need people to serve in meal prep teams, as small group leaders, greeters, and more. If you belong to a home group, this is a perfect opportunity to serve together! To volunteer, email Sandy at email@example.com or call 403-249-0423 ext. 129.
Chalice: Help Children in Developing Countries
Chalice, a Canadian Catholic sponsorship organization, invites you to share the blessings of Christmas with children in the developing world by purchasing gifts from their Christmas Gift Catalogue. This gives you the opportunity to purchase a gift on behalf of a loved one and receive an official tax receipt. Thanks to your generous giving, 50,000 children in 15 countries will have increased access to education, health, and family livelihood. Gift catalogues are available in the gathering area and online at www.chalice.ca.
YOU: Life, Love, and the Theology of the Body
In an age of selfies and egocentrism, YOU cuts through the noise to present an authentic view of the human person. It presents young people with the extraordinary story of their creation as unrepeatable individuals and introduces participants to the truth that life is not all about them; it is about going out of themselves to be a sincere gift for others. This program is open to anyone 13+, especially teens and their families. When: Wednesdays, Jan. 22 to Feb. 26, 2020, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. • Cost: $20 for the study book. Register online at saintmichael.ca/faithformation.
See the bulletin for more announcements
Christ the King Sunday, 24/11/2019, 1.17 MB