What you need to know from this weekend’s bulletin:
(Click here to download the entire bulletin)
Download our App – NEW
St. Michael’s is now on MyParish App: download our app for daily Mass readings, homilies, our weekend bulletin, plus reflections from Dr. Scott Hahn and the St. Paul Centre for Biblical Theology, Chris Stefanick, CatholicMom, and more. To get the app on your mobile device, download MyParish on the App Store (Apple iOS) or Google Play Store (Android), and select St. Michael Catholic Community as your parish.
2019 Contribution Envelopes – NEW
Contribution envelopes for 2019 are now ready for you to pickup in the gathering area. Please look for your name alphabetically-organized and note that your number may have changed from last year. If you have any questions, call the parish office at 403-249-0423.
Not receiving our Flocknote emails? – NEW
If you’re signed up on Flocknote but aren’t receiving any messages, the emails may be going to your junk folder or have been marked as spam. Please add email@example.com to your address book or, if the emails are appearing in your junk folder, be sure to mark them as “not spam” or “not junk.”
Rejoice: Women’s Ministry Advent Retreat
The Women’s Ministry is inviting women parishioners to their Advent retreat, followed by coffee and desserts on Thursday, November 29, from 7 p.m. to 9 p.m. Free will offering accepted. For more information, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Volunteer Callout: Babysitters Needed – NEW
Our Friday morning Moms and Tots group is looking for babysitters for Fridays November 30, December 7 and 14, from 9:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. Volunteers must have a valid police check. If you are interested, please email Marvin at email@example.com.
Christmas Season Mass Schedule – NEW
Our Mass schedule for Christmas and New Year’s is now available at saintmichael.ca/christmas.
Stocking Tree – NEW
Fill a pair of socks with essentials for daily living such as: underwear, mitts, gloves, toques, Kleenex packets, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, bandages, shampoo, razors, shaving cream and, if you have room, candy bars. Hang the stockings onto the Stocking Tree in the sanctuary beginning on the weekend of December 1-2, the First Sunday of Advent. These stockings will be delivered to the Drop-In Centre this Christmas.
CHRISTMAS HAMPERS: SHARE SUNDAY AND VOLUNTEER SIGN UP
- Thank you to all who responded to our call for volunteers for both the Hamper Day preparations and on the actual Christmas Hamper Day: mostly all of our needed positions are filled, but we may still have last-minute needs. If you missed the sign-up but still want to help, please email Darlene at firstname.lastname@example.org. Also, if you forgot to return your Share Sunday bag this weekend, you can return it next weekend.
- Angel Tree supplies needed: our Angel tree will be available this weekend and the next. Pick an angel from the tree, shop for the gift wished for by that child, and return it by noon on December 9 to ensure it is included with the hamper intended for that child’s family. We also welcome donations of wrapping paper and gift bags (approximately 15″x18″ or larger). If you are able to donate these items, you can drop them off at the Angel Tree box outside the main sanctuary. Thank you!
- Hamper delivery and police checks: the Diocese requires that anyone delivering hampers to homes must have a valid Vulnerable Sector Police Information Check (VSPIC) and have completed the Diocese’s online learning module. If you’re interested in helping with hamper delivery on December 17 and have not yet initiated the VSPIC process, email email@example.com. Thanks to all who have stepped up to volunteer!
Name Tag Weekend and Potluck Sunday – NEW
Next week is Name Tag Weekend: be sure to grab a name tag at the gathering area before Mass. Also, join us after the Sunday 5 p.m. Mass on December 2 for an evening of food and fellowship. Please bring any food item ready to serve.
CCSD Advent Choral Festival
All are invited to the Calgary Catholic School District’s choral festival on Tuesday, December 4 at 6:30 p.m., featuring choirs from Catholic high schools in Calgary. Come and join in celebrating Advent through music as the students fill the sanctuary with heartwarming holiday spirit.
Breakfast with St. Nicholas
Join us in the Kids’ Kingdom room on Sunday, December 9, after the 11 a.m. Mass for a pancake breakfast with the Knights and the Bishop of Myra — the “real” Santa! He will be around to greet the children. Read up about St. Nicholas and who he really was at saintnicholascenter.org.
Righteous Sounds of Winter Concert
Join the Inspirition Band (music ministry for the Sunday 5 p.m. Mass) for an evening of beautiful Christmas music at the Righteous Sounds of Winter concert, happening on Tuesday, December 11 at 7:30 p.m. All are welcome.
CHRISTMAS SING-ALONG and lunch
Save the date! The 55+ Circle of Friends’ annual Christmas Sing-Along is happening on Wednesday, December 12 at noon. Tickets are $20 each and will go on sale from November 26 to December 9. During this period, you can buy tickets at the parish office, after Mass on weekends, or after the 9 a.m. Mass on Fridays (Nov. 30 and Dec. 7). Last day to buy tickets is December 9.
CWL Executive Meetings: New Schedule – NEW
For December, the CWL Executive meeting will be on Tuesday, December 18 after the 7 p.m. Mass. Starting January, the Executive meetings will now be on the last Tuesday of the month. For the full schedule, visit saintmichael.ca/CWL.
Christmas Pageant and Potluck
All are invited to the children’s Christmas Pageant happening on Friday, December 21 at 6 p.m. This is a family event followed by a potluck dinner. For more info, email Alison at firstname.lastname@example.org.
In His Will Ministries: Belize Mission
As you may be aware, Carmen and Faye McBride have operated a mission in Unitedville, Belize since 2001. While they’ve made an enormous positive impact on the community through education and parenting support, Carmen and Faye are ready for retirement and are looking for an energetic, faith-filled couple or family to carry on their work. St. Michael’s has supported In His Will for 16 years, and we would certainly pray for the work of this mission to continue. For more information, please contact Cathy at email@example.com by December 31. Learn more about the Belize mission at meaworldwide.org/in-his-will.
Save the date: 2019 events for our 60th anniversary – NEW
While more details will be announced and confirmed in the coming months, mark your calendars for the following events planned for our anniversary year:
- Youth Celebration: Saturday, Jan. 26, 2019
- 60th Anniversary Mass: Friday, May 3, 2019
- Taste of the World: weekend of June 8-9, 2019
- St. Michael’s Fest: weekend of Sept. 27-29, 2019
- 60th Anniversary wrap-up: Dec. 14-15, 2019
Solemnity of Christ the King, 25/11/2018, 1.43 MB