Catholic Women's League
The CWL is a lay association of Catholic women recognized by the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops (CCCB). The League works to promote Catholic values, as well as to carry out volunteer and charitable work.
The Catholic Women’s League of Canada is a national organization rooted in gospel values calling its members to holiness through service to the people of God.
If you want to make a difference in the world, enrich your faith, and uphold family life, consider joining the CWL. Through your membership, you can support charitable outreach projects locally and around the world.
Can I join?
We welcome all women ages 16 and older, Catholic and non-Catholic alike. As women, we understand that attending every meeting is not always possible; we encourage you to join us whenever you can. We welcome the gifts and talents you have to offer.
If you see the St. Michael’s CWL as a place where others share your Christian values, a place where we all seek to grow in our faith and to put that faith into action, then this is the place for you!
How to join
To join the CWL at St. Michael’s, simply fill out this form and send a scanned copy to email@example.com. You can also drop it off at the parish office, or in the collection basket during Mass (place it in an envelope labeled CWL).
You can pay your $30 membership fee via Interac E-Transfer by sending it to firstname.lastname@example.org (set the security answer to membership). Please put your name in the message field.
Feel free to download our League Prayers for you to use for your personal prayer.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please email us at email@example.com.
Thank you, Fr. John and Fr. Pilmaiken
On Tuesday, July 7, CWL President Debbie and Grand Knight Larry Wagner presented Fr. John & Fr. Pilmaiken with cards of appreciation and gift cards. We are very saddened to have these two dedicated priests leave our church especially in these difficult COVID days, but we will be brave!
The Knight of Columbus also presented a cheque for the Society of St. Vincent de Paul. This money was Council 8636’s portion of the funds raised by the Knights Provincial Truck Raffle. Thank you to those parishioners who purchased raffle tickets.
I’m Worth It Now (IWIN) Initiative
IWIN is an initiative of St. Michael’s CWL which seeks to assist human trafficking survivors by providing them with backpacks and raising awareness about this important issue.
Each backpack contained personal care products, change of clothing, and a personal note for local survivors of human trafficking. A bracelet was also enclosed, with a matching bracelet being given to a prayer warrior to keep the recipient close to their hearts in prayer. These backpacks were distributed through Calgary Police Service personnel and the RESET Society of Calgary.
Weekend of March 21-22, 2020
Undie Sunday is an annual drive by the CWL and Knights of Columbus which benefits clients of the Elizabeth House, Drop-In Centre, and the RESET Society of Calgary.
Parishioners are encouraged to donate new underwear, socks, nursing bras, baby sleepers, diapers, diaper wipes, and gift cards (Click here for Elizabeth House’s 2020 wish list). Collection bins will be available at the gathering area. Further,
Also, any monetary donations earmarked Undie Sunday will be matched dollar-for-dollar by the Calgary Shaw Charity Classic Foundation.
- Undie Sunday: weekend of March 21-22. Parishioners are encouraged to donate new underwear, socks, nursing bras, baby sleepers, diapers, diaper wipes, and gift cards for the clients of Elizabeth House and the Drop-In Centre.
- Virtual Rosary: join us in praying the Rosary via Zoom on Friday, May 29 at 9:30 a.m. with Fr. Pilmaikén. Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/4053561505. For any further questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2020 monthly meeting dates (Tuesdays following the 7 p.m. Mass): January 14, February 11, March 10, April 14, September 8, October 13, November 10.
CWL 100th Anniversary Events
- April 26, 2020: High Tea at Holy Name Parish from 2 to 4 p.m.
- May 12, 2020: 3rd annual Mary’s wine and cheese birthday party, hosted by Holy Name CWL
- June 10, 2020: Twilight Retreat at Mount St. Francis with Holy Name CWL
Interested in doing a pilgrimage to Mary? Click here for a list of churches in Calgary with dedicated spaces for prayer before our Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Care for our Common Home: Tips for living with less plastic
- Mother’s Day celebration at Elizabeth House with St. Michael’s CWL and Knights of Columbus
- A memento for Lynn L’Heureux, St. Michael’s parishioner and Calgary Diocese CWL past-president.
Monthly School Prayers
Calgary Diocesan Council
- 2019-2021 Calendar: Click here to download the Calgary Diocesan Council 2019-2021 calendar
- 2019 Resolutions: Click here to see the 2019 resolutions adopted at the 99th annual National Convention and the Provincial Convention in June 2019.
Advocacy: West Calgary High School
If you would like a support letter to send to your MLA regarding the construction of a High School here in West Calgary, please download this file.
If you have any questions about this advocacy, please contact email@example.com.
Book of Life
The Catholic Women’s League’s Book of Life remembers departed sisters in Christ who have passed away over the years that the council has been in existence.
Did you know that CWL members can serve as honour guards? Below you will find the names of deceased sisters on whose funeral CWL members have served as honour guards.