Catholic Women's League
The CWL is a lay association of Catholic women recognized by the Canadian Conference of Catholic Bishops (CCCB). The League works to promote Catholic values, as well as to carry out volunteer and charitable work.
The Catholic Women’s League of Canada is a national organization rooted in gospel values calling its members to holiness through service to the people of God.
If you want to make a difference in the world, enrich your faith, and uphold family life, consider joining the CWL. Through your membership, you can support charitable outreach projects locally and around the world.
Can I join?
We welcome all women ages 16 and older, Catholic and non-Catholic alike. As women, we understand that attending every meeting is not always possible; we encourage you to join us whenever you can. We welcome the gifts and talents you have to offer.
If you see the St. Michael’s CWL as a place where others share your Christian values, a place where we all seek to grow in our faith and to put that faith into action, then this is the place for you!
How to join
To join the CWL at St. Michael’s, simply fill out this form and send a scanned copy to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also drop it off at the parish office, or in the collection basket during Mass (place it in an envelope labeled CWL).
You can pay your $30 membership fee via Interac E-Transfer by sending it to email@example.com (set the security answer to membership). Please put your name in the message field.
Feel free to download our League Prayers for you to use for your personal prayer.
If you have any questions or would like more information, please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Message from the President
Read this message from the President of St. Michael’s CWL, Pascale Kanbour.
40th Annual Hike for Life – Virtual!
Please join Fr. John, Fr. Pilmaiken and St. Michael’s CWL as they support the Calgary Pro-Life Association’s virtual 10K Hike for Life. You can join the St. Michael’s Team, start collecting pledges and hike on your own or safely with your family in your own neighbourhood. You can also make a donation to Fr. John, Fr. Pilmaiken or any other team member from now until May 12, 2020.
While you can do your own hike until May 12, the campaign to raise donations for Calgary Pro-Life is open until May 31. You can send your donations here.
All funds raised will go to support the Respect for Life Program which is presented to thousands of students in Grades 5-12. For more information or to donate, visit the donation page for the St. Michael Catholic Community team. All donations go directly to Calgary Pro-Life. Don’t forget to take that “hiking'” selfie and send it to Ryan, Communications Coordinator, at email@example.com.
Together we are affirming and building a culture of life. Thank you for your support!
I’m Worth It Now (IWIN) Initiative
IWIN is an initiative of St. Michael’s CWL which seeks to assist human trafficking survivors by providing them with backpacks and raising awareness about this important issue.
Each backpack contained personal care products, change of clothing, and a personal note for local survivors of human trafficking. A bracelet was also enclosed, with a matching bracelet being given to a prayer warrior to keep the recipient close to their hearts in prayer. These backpacks were distributed through Calgary Police Service personnel and the RESET Society of Calgary.
Weekend of March 21-22, 2020
Undie Sunday is an annual drive by the CWL and Knights of Columbus which benefits clients of the Elizabeth House, Drop-In Centre, and the RESET Society of Calgary.
Parishioners are encouraged to donate new underwear, socks, nursing bras, baby sleepers, diapers, diaper wipes, and gift cards (Click here for Elizabeth House’s 2020 wish list). Collection bins will be available at the gathering area. Further,
Also, any monetary donations earmarked Undie Sunday will be matched dollar-for-dollar by the Calgary Shaw Charity Classic Foundation.
- Undie Sunday: weekend of March 21-22. Parishioners are encouraged to donate new underwear, socks, nursing bras, baby sleepers, diapers, diaper wipes, and gift cards for the clients of Elizabeth House and the Drop-In Centre.
- Virtual Rosary: join us in praying the Rosary via Zoom on Friday, May 29 at 9:30 a.m. with Fr. Pilmaikén. Zoom link: https://zoom.us/j/4053561505. For any further questions, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 2020 monthly meeting dates (Tuesdays following the 7 p.m. Mass): January 14, February 11, March 10, April 14, September 8, October 13, November 10.
CWL 100th Anniversary Events
- April 26, 2020: High Tea at Holy Name Parish from 2 to 4 p.m.
- May 12, 2020: 3rd annual Mary’s wine and cheese birthday party, hosted by Holy Name CWL
- June 10, 2020: Twilight Retreat at Mount St. Francis with Holy Name CWL
Interested in doing a pilgrimage to Mary? Click here for a list of churches in Calgary with dedicated spaces for prayer before our Blessed Virgin Mary.
- Care for our Common Home: Tips for living with less plastic
- Mother’s Day celebration at Elizabeth House with St. Michael’s CWL and Knights of Columbus
- A memento for Lynn L’Heureux, St. Michael’s parishioner and Calgary Diocese CWL past-president.
Monthly School Prayers
Calgary Diocesan Council
- 2019-2021 Calendar: Click here to download the Calgary Diocesan Council 2019-2021 calendar
- 2019 Resolutions: Click here to see the 2019 resolutions adopted at the 99th annual National Convention and the Provincial Convention in June 2019.
Advocacy: West Calgary High School
If you would like a support letter to send to your MLA regarding the construction of a High School here in West Calgary, please download this file.
If you have any questions about this advocacy, please contact email@example.com.
Book of Life
The Catholic Women’s League’s Book of Life remembers departed sisters in Christ who have passed away over the years that the council has been in existence.
Did you know that CWL members can serve as honour guards? Below you will find the names of deceased sisters on whose funeral CWL members have served as honour guards.