A Sacrament of Initiation
Baptism: new life in Christ
“Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved.” Mark 16:16
Baptism Preparation and Celebration Details
Please read this page thoroughly as here you will find all the information you need for Baptism and Baptism Preparation. Your main point of contact for any questions regarding this matter will be our Sacrament Coordinator, Maureen Ross. She can be reached at 403-249-0423 ext. 126 or email@example.com.
This ministry is designed for parents who wish to bring their children to the parish community of St. Michael to receive the Sacrament of Baptism. During the sessions, you will embark upon a journey that is enjoyable, interesting, challenging, and very rewarding as you take the first step in the faith life of your child. You will meet and form a bond with a diverse group of people who have one thing in common — a desire to be a part of God’s family. You will find great support in each other!
Register at St. Michael
Families should ensure they are registered parishioners at St. Michael. Registration form is available here, or at the Parish Office. If your family is registered at another parish, please bring a letter from your parish priest to the Baptism appointment which extends his permission to celebrate this Sacrament away from your home parish.
Birth Certificate Needed
You will need a photocopy of your child’s Birth Certificate. You can take the course without it (i.e. you’ve ordered it and it hasn’t arrived yet or you haven’t given birth yet) but the birth certificate must be submitted before the Baptism.
During the appointment, you will choose a separate Baptism preparation and Baptism celebration date. All Baptism preparation parent classes take place in Room 136.
Baptism Preparation Class
You are more than welcome to take the Baptism preparation course before your infant is born. Courses should be completed a minimum of one month prior to your child’s Baptism (i.e. September preparation for an October or November Baptism). You cannot take the preparation class on the same day as your child’s Baptism. Both parents must be in attendance for this session.
This year, we are introducing a new program called Belonging, produced by Ascension Press. This three-hour Baptism course is excellent and includes parish preparation and online follow up for families. This course replaces our older format and all Baptism families, new and returning, are required to take it. You are welcome to bring your infant to the sessions.
School-aged children are welcome to register for Baptism preparation (Grades 1 to 6). Contact Maureen for further details.
Click here to read Godparents: What is expected of them today?
When considering your Godparents for your child, please note the following:
- A child may have only one or two Godparents at Baptism. If you choose to have two Godparents, one must either be a Godfather and one must be a Godmother.
- At least one Godparent must be a baptized, practicing Catholic and have received the sacrament of Confirmation. He or she must also be above 16 years of age. You must submit a copy of their Confirmation certificate or an annotated Baptism certificate with their Confirmation date indicated before your child’s baptism date.
- Your Godparent(s) must be registered members in a Catholic parish.
- If married, your Godparent(s) must be married in the Roman Catholic Church or in another Church, with permission and a dispensation.
- A non-Catholic but Christian Godparent is called a witness. The name for this Godparent goes on the Witness line on the registration form. This person accompanies the confirmed, Catholic Godparent in the faith journey of your child. Please indicate on the registration form which faith/church in which the Witness was baptized.
- The Godparent(s) should be models of your faith, attend Mass, and receive the Sacraments of the Church.
- Godparents do not need to be married to each other and they can be single.
- If you have chosen Godparents who cannot travel to attend the actual Baptism Celebration, you may have a proxy stand in for him/her on your child’s special day.
If you have more questions about Godparents, please consult the Sacrament Coordinator or feel free to ask your questions at the Baptism Preparation Session.
Schedule of Preparation Classes and Celebrations:
Baptism Preparation (all classes happen on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 12 noon)
- July 6, 2019
- September 7, 2019
- November 9, 2019
- January 4, 2020
- March 7, 2020
- May 23, 2020
- Saturday, June 15, 2019 at 11 a.m. (Fathers’ Day weekend)
- Saturday, July 6, 2019 at 11 a.m.
- Saturday, Aug. 17, 2019 at 11 a.m.
- Saturday, Sept. 7, 2019 at 11 a.m.
- Saturday, Oct. 5, 2019 at 11 a.m.
- Saturday, Nov. 9, 2019 at 11 a.m.
- Saturday, Dec. 7, 2019 at 11 a.m. and 5 p.m. Saturday Mass
- Saturday, Jan. 4, 2020 at 11 a.m.
- Saturday, Feb. 1, 2020 at 11 a.m.
- Saturday, April 25, 2020 at 11 a.m.
- Saturday, May 23, 2020 at 11 a.m.
- Saturday, June 20, 2020 at 11 a.m.
School-Aged Children’s Baptism
School-aged children preparation is a home-based study with a one-on-one appointment with the Sacrament Coordinator. Contact Maureen for further details.
Forms, Appointment, and Registration Fee
The first step in the process of Baptism Preparation is to download and print off a Baptism registration form, which will hold your spot for your Baptism date. After you complete the form, please call Maureen Ross, our Sacrament Coordinator, at 403 249 0423 ext. 126 to arrange an appointment to discuss questions, complete the registration process, and have a short orientation about the Baptism day. This is a brief, 15-minute appointment and one parent can attend if the other is working.
The registration fee for program materials is $25. This fee can be submitted at your appointment. For your convenience, we take Visa, Mastercard, Debit, Cash, and Cheque.
Been away from the Church?
You’re not alone! We invite you to rediscover Jesus and the Catholic faith again.