A Sacrament of Initiation
Baptism: new life in Christ
“Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved.” Mark 16:16
Due to COVID-19, our Baptism Preparation course will take place in an online video format. Parents will register for the course and the Baptism sacrament itself, pick up a book from the parish office, and be given a code to input into the Ascension Press website to commence the course.
Once the course is completed, parents can book their baptism celebration date with 20 guests maximum (TBC, pending the actual number of babies to be baptized per celebration).
Please note that if you or any of your guests are experiencing any COVID symptoms and/or have travelled outside of the country for the past 14 days, they are required by the provincial government to stay home and self-isolate.
Baptism Preparation and Celebration Details
Please read this page thoroughly as here you will find all the information you need for Baptism and Baptism Preparation. Your main point of contact for any questions regarding this matter is Ryan, whom you can email at email@example.com.
This ministry is designed for parents who wish to bring their children to the parish community of St. Michael to receive the Sacrament of Baptism. During the online sessions, you will embark upon a journey that is enjoyable, interesting, challenging, and very rewarding as you take the first step in the faith life of your child.
Register at St. Michael
The first step is to ensure that your family is registered at St. Michael. If you haven’t done so, you can register here, or at the Parish Office.
If your family is registered at another parish, please bring a letter from your parish priest to the Baptism appointment which extends his permission to celebrate this Sacrament away from your home parish.
Birth Certificate Needed
You will also need a photocopy of your child’s Birth Certificate. You can take the course without it (i.e. you’ve ordered it and it hasn’t arrived yet or you haven’t given birth yet), but the birth certificate must be submitted before the Baptism.
Normally, you will choose a separate Baptism preparation class session and Baptism celebration date. However, currently, all Baptism preparation classes will take place online due to the COVID-19 mass gathering restrictions.
Baptism Preparation Class
You are more than welcome to take the Baptism preparation course before your infant is born. Courses should be completed a minimum of one month prior to your child’s Baptism (i.e. September preparation for an October or November Baptism). You cannot take the preparation class on the same day as your child’s Baptism. Both parents must be in attendance for this session.
We are using an online program called Belonging, produced by Ascension Press. This three-hour Baptism course is excellent and includes parish preparation and online follow up for families. This course replaces our older format and all Baptism families, new and returning, are required to take it. You are welcome to bring your infant to the sessions.
School-aged children are welcome to register for Baptism preparation (Grades 1 to 6). Contact Ryan for further details.
Please read Godparents: What is expected of them today?
When considering your Godparents for your child, please note the following:
- A child may have only one or two Godparents at Baptism. If you choose to have two Godparents, one must either be a Godfather and one must be a Godmother.
- At least one Godparent must be a baptized, practicing Catholic and have received the sacrament of Confirmation. He or she must also be above 16 years of age. You must submit a copy of their Confirmation certificate or an annotated Baptism certificate with their Confirmation date indicated before your child’s baptism date.
- Your Godparent(s) must be registered members in a Catholic parish.
- If married, your Godparent(s) must be married in the Roman Catholic Church or in another Church, with permission and a dispensation.
- A non-Catholic but Christian Godparent is called a witness. The name for this Godparent goes on the Witness line on the registration form. This person accompanies the confirmed, Catholic Godparent in the faith journey of your child. Please indicate on the registration form which faith/church in which the Witness was baptized.
- The Godparent(s) should be models of your faith, attend Mass, and receive the Sacraments of the Church.
- Godparents do not need to be married to each other and they can be single.
- If you have chosen Godparents who cannot travel to attend the actual Baptism Celebration, you may have a proxy stand in for him/her on your child’s special day.
If you have more questions about Godparents, please contact Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Schedule of Preparation Classes and Celebrations:
Note: beginning April 2020, all Baptism Preparation classes are currently being done online, and all the modules can be completed at your own convenience.
Previous schedule for Baptism Preparation (all classes happen on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 12 noon)
- Oct. 10, 2020
- Dec. 5, 2020
Baptism Celebration dates:
- Saturday, September 19 at 11 a.m. – FULL
- Saturday, September 26 at 11 a.m.
- Sunday, October 4 during the 9 a.m. Mass*
- Saturday, October 10 during the 5 p.m. Mass*
- Saturday, November 7 at 11 a.m.
- Saturday, December 5 at 11 a.m.
*Note: Due to gathering restrictions, baptisms during Mass is currently not being offered.
School-Aged Children’s Baptism
School-aged children preparation is a home-based study. Please contact Ryan at email@example.com for details.
Forms, Appointment, and Registration Fee
The first step in the process of Baptism Preparation is to download and print off a Baptism registration form, which will hold your spot for your Baptism date. After you complete the form, please contact Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange an appointment (virtual or phone call) to discuss questions, complete the registration process, and have a short orientation about the Baptism day. This is a brief, 15-minute appointment and one parent can attend if the other is working.
The registration fee for program materials is $25. This fee can be submitted at your appointment. For your convenience, we take Visa, Mastercard, Debit, Cash, and Cheque.
To have your child baptized, here are the steps:
1. Download and fill out the Baptism Registration form.
2. Register as parishioners of St. Michael’s, if you haven’t yet. If you’re registered at another parish, ask your parish priest for a letter stating that he’s giving his permission to have the sacrament celebrated away from your home parish.
3. Prepare a photocopy of your child’s birth certificate, as well your godparents’ Confirmation certificate (or an annotated Baptism certificate with their Confirmation date indicated).
4. Contact Ryan at email@example.com to book a brief virtual appointment to discuss any questions you may have
5. Drop off your completed Baptism Registration, photocopy of your child’s birth certificate, godparents’ Confirmation certificate, and payment of $25 at the parish office (Click here for our office hours). We will register you for the Belonging online Baptism preparation program and give you a workbook which you will be using.
Note: you can proceed with the Baptism preparation course even if you’re still waiting for your child’s birth certificate and/or your godparents’ Confirmation certificate. However, these documents must be submitted to the parish before your child’s baptism day.
6. Complete the Belonging online Baptism preparation program. Upon completion, email Ryan at firstname.lastname@example.org stating so, and select a Baptism celebration date from the dates listed above.
7. Ryan will confirm your Baptism date with you and will discuss any further details that need to be finalized.
Been away from the Church?
You’re not alone! We invite you to rediscover Jesus and the Catholic faith again.