What you need to know from this weekend’s bulletin:
Praise and Worship Night
Join us for a praise and worship night on Sunday, December 8, from 7 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., led by our NET missionaries. All are welcome.
- Thank you to all donors for your sacrificial offering on Giving Tuesday, December 3. Your generosity will go a long way in making sure that we can humbly continue building God’s Kingdom in our parish community. May God bless you and your families during this season of joyful hope.
- We also want to thank all those who joined us at the CCSD Advent Choral Concert on Tuesday, December 3. The students were elated at the sight of a sanctuary full of people eager to hear them perform! Organizers and faculty from the school district extend their gratitude to all parishioners for your support of the performing arts and Catholic education.
Our Stocking Tree Outreach is in its 30th Year
Fill a pair of socks with essentials for daily living such as underwear, mitts, gloves, toques, Kleenex packets, soap, toothbrush, toothpaste, bandages, shampoo, razors, shaving cream and, if you have room, candy bars. Hang the stockings onto the Stocking Tree in the sanctuary. These stockings will be delivered to the Drop-In Centre this Christmas. Thanks for your generosity!
Poinsettias in Memory Loved One
Parishioners are invited to help decorate the sanctuary this Christmas by purchasing a poinsettia in memory of a loved one. Order forms are available in the gathering area. You can drop off your completed form along with your payment ($30/poinsettia) in the collection basket during Mass or at the parish office by Wednesday, December 18.
Come and join Oremus on Monday, December 9, at 6 p.m. to pray the Vespers — the evening prayer of the liturgy of the hours. If you would like to join but could not make it to church, please email Heather.
Welcoming the Light: A Family Christmas Event
All parishioners are invited on Friday, December 13 from 6 to 8 p.m. for St. Michael’s family Christmas event. There will be a Christmas pageant featuring Kids Kingdom and ROOTS Youth, followed by a potluck dinner. All are welcome!
60th Anniversary wind-Up: Pancake Breakfast – New
The Knights of Columbus will be hosting a pancake breakfast after the morning Masses next Sunday, December 15, to celebrate the end of our 60th anniversary year. All are invited! Free-will donations welcome.
Distress Lines – New
Christmas can be a joyful time but also stressful for some. Do you or someone you know need help? Please consider the following:
- Calgary Distress Centre: 403-266-4357 or distresscentre.com
- Woods Homes Community Resource Team: 403-299-9699 or woodshomes.ca
- Family Violence Helpline: 403-234-7233
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul: 403-249-0423 ext. 122
Christmas Hamper Day 2019
- Thanks to all of you, our Hamper preparations are well underway! If you have not yet donated, there is still time to provide a monetary donation to SSVP to help with our grocery gift card purchase. You can make a cash or cheque donation in the SSVP collection box located by the alcove, or online at saintmichael.ca/giving.
- Thanks to all who generously responded to our call for volunteers last week. Most needs have been filled; however, if you missed the sign-up and would still like to help please email us at email@example.com.
- Angel Tree: a reminder that the deadline to return all Angel Tree gifts is this Sunday, December 8 — if you are unable to return your gift in time, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. We also welcome donations of gift bags, wrapping paper, and tape — please leave donated items in the Angel Tree box located near the St. Nicholas (Kids Kingdom) room.
- Hamper requests: please note that we can only provide hampers for individuals/families within our parish area. Further, any hamper request must be made through the SSVP intake line at 403-249-0423 ext. 122.
- Hamper delivery and police checks: please note that diocesan policy requires all volunteers to fill out a Volunteer Information Form and a Model Code of Conduct, which can be downloaded at saintmichael.ca/volunteer. Please complete these forms and drop them off at the parish office. Also, a Vulnerable Sector Police Information Check (VSPIC) is required for those delivering hampers — if delivering as a group, at least one person in the group going to the household must have a valid VSPIC. Lastly, all those volunteering to deliver hampers must also complete the Armatus training module, which you can complete online at saintmichael.ca/volunteer.
We appreciate your cooperation in completing the needed processes. If you require any further information, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Marvin Matthews, at email@example.com. General inquiries re: Hamper Program can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
I am Blessed, so I will bless others – New
From now until the end of 2019, the Diocese of Calgary invites you to declare your blessing and then bless someone, your parish or a Diocesan program. Spot the #iamblessed poster and postcards in the gathering area this weekend! Make a freewill donation and get a pack of these beautiful Christmas cards. In each envelope, there are 5 Christmas postcards, and there you will find ideas on how you can bless others during this season of giving. Send it to five different people by Christmas and share your story on social media using #iamblessed – learn more ways to be a part of this at iamblessed.ca.
Chalice: Help Children in Developing Countries
Chalice, a Canadian Catholic sponsorship organization, invites you to share the blessings of Christmas with children in the developing world by purchasing gifts from their Christmas Gift Catalogue. This gives you the opportunity to purchase a gift on behalf of a loved one and receive an official tax receipt. Thanks to your generous giving, 50,000 children in 15 countries will have increased access to education, health, and family livelihood. Gift catalogues are available in the gathering area and online at www.chalice.ca.
New Women’s Ministry Study: Lectio
Lectio Prayer is a 6-week, video-based study program on Lectio Divina and the intimate spirituality of praying with the Sacred Scriptures. Women are invited to this study which begins on January 16, 2020 with morning and evening sessions available. Cost for the study guide is $20. To register, click here. If you have any further questions, contact the Women’s Ministry at Womensministry@saintmichael.ca.
Moms and Tots: Upcoming Events
In addition to our weekly coffee fellowship on Fridays at 9:45 a.m., join us on December 13 for our Christmas party. Also, please note that there will be no meeting on December 20 and 27. See our full schedule at saintmichael.ca/momsandtots.
Alpha: Is there more to life than this?
- Alpha is an opportunity to explore the big questions in life in a friendly, open, and informal environment; a series of interactive sessions exploring the basics of the Christian faith. Each session begins with a free meal, followed by a video, then an open discussion. Alpha begins on Wednesday, January 15 until March 25: sign up today at saintmichael.ca/alpha.
- Volunteer: If you’ve taken Alpha before, we ask that you prayerfully consider giving back and help others know Jesus this January: we need people to serve in meal prep teams, as small group leaders, greeters, and more. If you belong to a home group, this is a perfect opportunity to serve together! To volunteer, email Sandy at email@example.com or call 403-249-0423 ext. 129.
YOU: Life, Love, and the Theology of the Body
In an age of selfies and egocentrism, YOU cuts through the noise to present an authentic view of the human person. It presents young people with the extraordinary story of their creation as unrepeatable individuals and introduces participants to the truth that life is not all about them; it is about going out of themselves to be a sincere gift for others. This program is open to anyone 13+, especially teens and their families. When: Wednesdays, Jan. 22 to Feb. 26, 2020, from 6:30 to 8 p.m. • Cost: $20 for the study book. Register online at saintmichael.ca/faithformation.
See the bulletin for more announcements
2nd Sunday of Advent, 08/12/2019, 1.29 MB