Bulletin: 23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time
What you need to know from this weekend’s bulletin:
(Click here to download the entire bulletin)
Potluck Sunday and Gift Shop
We’re inviting you, your family, and a friend to an evening of food and fellowship on Sunday, September 9 after the 5 p.m. Mass. Please bring a hot or cold food item ready to serve. Also, the gift shop has re-opened for this fall — visit us after Mass to check out the new products we carry.
Young Adults BAM: Beers After Mass
Young adults of St. Michael’s: we’d love to get to know you! Join us for some faith, fun, and fellowship this Sunday, September 9. Meet us at the BAM sign in the gathering area after the 5 p.m. Mass.
Calling all knitters! We will be getting together on September 12 from 10 a.m. to noon and then every second week after, to work on items such as scarves, hats, prayer shawls, etc, for those in need. This is a wonderful opportunity to develop your knitting skills while also getting together for coffee and fellowship. If there is a project that you’re working on, please bring it with you. Contact Carol at 403- 282-6469 or Christine at 403-686-2820 for more information.
CALLING YOUTH: UPCOMING EVENTS
- Youth Choir Sign-ups: Interested in joining St. Michael’s Youth Choir? Come to our next registration day on Saturday, September 15, from noon until 2 p.m. at the Kids’ Kingdom room. Singers and instrumentalists are welcome.
- Art Night: You’re invited on Friday, September 14 at 6:30 p.m. for Art Night with Colour on Fire. All materials are provided for a cost of $5 per person. Please register by emailing Nolan at firstname.lastname@example.org.
UPDATE: L’ARCHE MOVIE NIGHT POSTPONED
Please note that the L’Arche movie screening of Summer in the Forest originally scheduled on Saturday, September 15, has been postponed to a later date. Please check the next bulletin or our website calendar for updates.
Retreat with Bishop Henry
Fr. Julian is organizing a day retreat with Bishop Emeritus F.B. Henry at the FCJ Centre on Saturday, September 15 from 8:45 a.m. to 4 p.m. Cost is $45 per person including lunch. To register or for more info, please email Mervyn at email@example.com.
Discovery Faith Study – NEW
Discovery is all about Jesus! This faith study is an effective tool which introduces people to understanding who Jesus is, what He has done, and the invitation He offers for relationship. Join us on Tuesday mornings at 6 a.m. beginning September 18. Light breakfast included. For more information or to register, visit saintmichael.ca/faithformation.
40 DAYS FOR LIFE CALGARY KICKOFF EVENT
Join 40 Days for Life for the Calgary kickoff event here at St. Michael’s on Saturday, September 22 at 2:30 p.m. Matt Britton, 40 DFL Chairman, and Fr. Francis De Rosa will be sharing about their experience in their worldwide pro-life work.
Kids’ Kingdom: Volunteer Teachers Needed – NEW
Kids’ Kingdom is tentatively set to start on Sunday, September 23, but is dependent on the number of teachers who volunteer. If you or someone you know would like to volunteer, please email Alison at firstname.lastname@example.org. Training will be provided.
A BIBLICAL WALK THROUGH THE MASS: A FREE STUDY PROGRAM
In this five-part Bible study, you will come to know and understand the Mass like never before. From the rich meanings behind what we say and do in the Mass to the words and gestures of the priest, you will see the Mass in a new light, leading to a more meaningful appreciation of the Mass. Monday evenings at 7 p.m. beginning September 24. For more information or to register, visit saintmichael.ca/faithformation.
- Online registration for the 2018-2019 First Reconciliation/First Eucharist is now available at saintmichael.ca/sacraments. All grade 2 students and up are welcome to participate in the program that begins next September. Deadline for registration is September 24 for both programs. Please register early to confirm your celebration spots for both sacraments.
- Volunteer leaders needed for First Reconciliation and First Eucharist: We need volunteer teachers for our brand-new sacrament program this Fall and next Spring. Training is provided! The sessions will all be on either Saturday mornings OR afternoons (once a month) and you can help with one or all of them. The dates are: October 27, November 25, December 15, January 19, February 23, March 16, April 13, May 4, and May 11. If you can help support the sacrament journey of over 200 little ones, contact Maureen at email@example.com or at 403-249-0423 ext. 126.
- Confirmation 2019: Our Confirmation Mass has not been finalized by our Bishop yet, however, teens are highly encouraged to do their four (4) hours of service with The Mustard Seed, the Food Bank, or Inn From the Cold. Contact Maureen at firstname.lastname@example.org for any information about volunteering.
Alpha is a weekly program exploring the basics of the Christian faith in an open, welcoming, and friendly environment. Each session includes a meal, video, and small-group discussion. Free childcare available. For more info or to register, visit saintmichael.ca/alpha.
THE ONE THING IS THREE: WOMEN’S MINISTRY STUDY
The Women’s Ministry invites women to this study on Fr. Michael’s Gaitley’s The One Thing is Three: How the Most Holy Trinity Explains Everything. Far from being an academic text, this study makes deep theology accessible to everyday Catholics with humour and ease. Cost: $20 for the book. Thursdays at 10 a.m. or 7 p.m. beginning September 27. For more information or to register, visit saintmichael.ca/faithformation.
Updates for One Rock 2.0 – NEW
- There will be Eucharistic Adoration during One Rock on Saturday, September 29, from 9:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. If you’re able, please sign up on the Eucharistic Adoration sign-up table.
- Volunteers are needed for different roles. Click here to sign up.
- Those who are not part of the young adult delegation can now buy tickets at onerock.ca for the Saturday evening program. Tickets are $10 for those below 18 and $20 for those over 35.
Diocesan Bereavement Education Program – NEW
St. Michael’s will be hosting the Diocese of Calgary’s Bereavement Care Education Program this fall. This certificate is a necessary component to be a part of the Parish Bereavement Team. Please note that the $50 course fee is waived for St. Michael’s parishioners. This is a two-part program happening on October 12-13 and 19-20. For more info, visit saintmichael.ca/pastoralcare.
FATAL FLAWS: FILM SCREENING AND Q&A
St. Michael’s is excited to host a film screening of Fatal Flaws: Legalizing Assisted Death, with a Q&A on the issue by producer-filmmaker Kevin Dunn. All are welcome to this event on Monday, October 22 at 7 p.m. To learn more about the film or to watch the trailer, visit fatalflawsfilm.com.
23rd Sunday in Ordinary Time, 09/09/2018, 2.09 MB