What you need to know from this weekend’s bulletin:
Catholic Education Sunday – New
- On Nov. 3, 2019, we celebrate Catholic Education Sunday across the Diocese of Calgary. This is a day for us, as a Catholic community, to come together to give thanks for Catholic education, as our schools are an expression of our faith and a gif to future generations. In the gathering area, there will be a table with contribution envelopes for parishioners who wish to make a monetary contribution to the Calgary Catholic Education Foundation (CCEF) which is a charitable organization dedicated to enhancing the learning experience for the over 58,000 students in the 116 schools of the Calgary Catholic School District.
- Also, we encourage everyone to pray for our Catholic schools. As is our practice at St. Michael’s, we remember our four neighbouring Catholic schools during the Saturday 5 p.m. Mass all throughout the month: St. Michael every 1st Saturday, followed by John Costello, St. Joan of Arc, Guardian Angels, and all Catholic schools on the following Saturdays.
- Please read the letter from the Bishops of Alberta and NWT.
2019 Q3 Finance Update – New
Click here to view St. Michael’s Q3 2019 statement of financial position and income statement.
Book of Remembrance
The Church dedicates the month of November for the commemoration of all the faithful departed. During this special time, we invite parishioners to write the names of departed loved ones in our Book of Remembrance, located by the columbarium on weekdays and near the sanctuary doors on weekends. They will be remembered during Masses for the month of November.
2020 Contribution Envelopes – New
Next year’s contribution envelopes are now available for pickup in the gathering area. Please look for your name alphabetically-organized, and note that your number may have changed from last year. If you have any questions, call the parish office at 403-249-0423.
St. Francis Xavier Chaplaincy – New
During last weekend’s One Rock Young Adult Conference, the St. Francis Xavier Chaplaincy was introduced as an avenue for the Diocese of Calgary to minister to young adults. Watch Fr. Cristino’s video below. Young adults are invited to participate in their faith, formation, and fellowship events. For more information, visit www.sfxc.ca.
Moms and Tots: Upcoming Events
In addition to our Friday morning coffee fellowship at 9:45 a.m., here are some notable upcoming events: November 8: Parenting for Faith: Youth Edition with Nolan Conrad, our Youth Minister, and Eve Obrigewitsch, former NET missionary. See our full schedule at saintmichael.ca/momsandtots.
New Parishioner Welcome Reception – New
If you regularly attend St. Michael’s, we strongly encourage you to register as a member of our parish by going online at saintmichael.ca > our community > join, or by filling out a new parishioner registration form at the welcome booth after Mass.
You are also invited to our Welcome Reception on Sunday, November 17 at 12:30 p.m. Please RSVP to Sandy at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 403-249-0423 ext. 129. Come and learn more about what St. Michael’s has to offer you and your family, as well as find ways for you to get involved.
60th Anniversary Concert
In celebration of our 60th anniversary, we’re inviting all parishioners to St. Michael’s 60th Anniversary Concert, happening Friday, November 22. The evening will feature St. Michael’s music ministry led by Jim Howells and The Inspirition Band (Sunday 5 p.m. music ministry) led by Demetrio Navarro. There will be a meet and greet at 7 p.m., followed by the concert at 7:30 until 9 p.m. Following the concert will be a wine and cheese social in the gathering area (with cash bar) until 10:30 p.m.
Society of St. Vincent de Paul – New
- Most-needed items: we continue to thank our parish community for the generous support in the work and mission of SSVP, especially the students from our surrounding Catholic schools who have donated generously in October. We are still in need of the following items: small jars of peanut butter, canned chilli, cake mix, and bars of soap. Thanks for your generosity!
- In June of 2020, Calgary will be hosting SSVP’s Annual General Assembly. In preparation for this event, members of the local conferences are looking for generous sponsors who would like to help in making this a special experience for Vincentians. For more information on sponsorship opportunities, please contact Mervyn at email@example.com, or by calling Paulette at 403-242-4481.
Camera Helper Needed – New
A camera helper is needed for the Sunday 5 p.m. Mass with The Inspirition Band. Duties primarily entail setup and takedown of 20 small cameras before and after Mass. Interested? Please contact Demetrio by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Knights of Columbus Update – New
- In September, the Knights of Columbus Fr. Lawrence Carroll Council 8636 was pleased to prepare and donate pasta to John Costello School for 500 people as a school fundraiser for a playground expansion plan. Also, the Knights prepared 900 hotdogs for the St. Michael’s Family Party Celebration along with ice cream sandwiches. In October, the Knights were active in three events: helping direct traffic for One Rock, followed by a pancake breakfast after the Sunday 9 and 11 a.m. Masses, with the donations given to the Society of St. Vincent de Paul. Lastly, the Knights were pleased to help with the Rosary Procession. This event is a testament of our faith — if you are interested in supporting the parish in these types of activities and want to become a Knight, please feel free to contact Larry Wagner through the parish office at email@example.com.
- All Knights are reminded of the upcoming meeting on Tuesday, November 19 at 7:30 p.m. in the Children’s Theatre. Social to follow
For all volunteers
Model Code of Conduct: the Diocese of Calgary requires that all volunteers be accountable for their work and behaviour. The Model Code of Conduct is a guide to help you model the values and policies of the Diocese, and its purpose is to describe principles of conduct and provide guidance in ethical decision making. It is a requirement that this form is renewed yearly. If you have not completed a form within the past year, we ask that you kindly sign and complete the form and bring a copy to the parish office, or email it to Marvin at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Installation of Wayfinding Signage and Rooms Renaming
In order to better support the increased traffic, events, and programming at St. Michael’s, we will be installing wayfinding and directional signage throughout the church building within the next few weeks. This project, which is one of the goals in our parish strategic plan, will be done in three phases: beginning with signage in the main floor directing people to spaces that are most commonly used, followed by signages in the basement and mezzanine in the following months.
Happening concurrently with this project is the renaming of some of the spaces in our church building. Meeting rooms 134 and 136 will be renamed St. Michael A & B (collectively St. Michael’s Room), classrooms 143-145 will be St. Gabriel A, B, & C (collectively St. Gabriel’s Room), Meeting room 110 will be St. Raphael Room, Kids Kingdom will be St. Nicholas Room, and the Nursery as Guardian Angels Room. The Day Chapel will also be dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary as St. Mary’s Chapel — since it houses the only Marian icon in the church building and is also used for Marian devotions on Tuesday nights and Saturday mornings.
The use of the saints and archangels in our naming convention is in line with our values of Worship and Prayer. Further, the Interior Enhancement Committee has been consulted in this process. If you have any questions, feel free to contact Ryan at email@example.com.
A Message from the Christmas Hamper Committee
Interested in delivering hampers this year? Volunteer sign up will take place on the weekends of November 16-17 and 23-24. In the meantime, please note that the Diocesan policies require the following:
- Volunteer information form and review/signing of our Model Code of Conduct are required for all volunteers. Forms can be found online at saintmichael.ca/volunteer. Please complete these two forms and drop them off at the parish office.
- Vulnerable Sector Police Information Check (VSPIC) is required for those delivering hampers. If delivering as a group, at least one person in the group going to the household must have a valid VSPIC. (Note: it takes approx. three weeks to complete this check, so the process should be started as soon as possible). Also, all those volunteering to deliver hampers must also complete the Armatus training module: the on-line guide to the modules can be found here.
We appreciate your cooperation in completing the needed processes. If you require any further information, please contact our Volunteer Coordinator, Marvin Matthews, at firstname.lastname@example.org. General inquiries re: Hamper Program can be directed to email@example.com.
See the bulletin for more announcements
31st Sunday in Ordinary Time, 03/11/2019, 1.91 MB