What you need to know from this weekend’s bulletin:
Remembrance Day – New
The parish office will be closed on Wednesday, November 11 for Remembrance Day. However, there will still be Daily Mass at 9 a.m.
Message from Bishop McGrattan Re: Financial Status of the Diocese – New
Bishop McGrattan has issued a letter on the financial challenges due to COVID-19 and the decisions that will affect the employment of some staff in the parishes and in the Pastoral Centre in 2021. We invite you to read the letter here.
2020-2021 SUNDAY MISSAL NOW AVAILABLE
The Living with Christ 2020-2021 Year B Sunday Missal is now available for purchase for $5 each. Illustrated youth missals are also available for $10. To get your copy, please visit the parish office.
WOMEN’S MINISTRY ADVENT STUDY
The Women’s Ministry is hosting a four-part study in preparation for Advent happening Tuesdays at 7 p.m. from November 10 to December 1. The Zoom meeting link will be shared through the Women’s Ministry’s Flocknote group — to join, click here.
Memorial Liturgy – New
When families lose a baby in the womb, the cries of birth go unheard; the grasp of tiny fingers slips away. Join others in a prayer gathering to commend these children into the embrace of our God and to support those who are grieving the loss of a child: the Diocese of Calgary invites you to the Memorial Liturgy for those mourning the loss of a child through miscarriage or stillbirth with Bishop McGrattan on Friday, November 20 at 7 p.m. at Sacred Heart Church (1307 14 St. SW). To attend, please register at miscarriageliturgy.ca.
Coming Soon: Kids Kingdom at Home – New
We’re excited to share this news to families with little ones: beginning Sunday, November 22, we will be kicking off Kids Kingdom at Home — a weekly video with songs, crafts, stories, and activities that parents and children can do together at home. Pre-packaged kits for the crafts and activities will be available for pickup at the church. Visit saintmichael.ca/children and signup to get the latest info.
SAVE THE DATE: PARISH ADVENT MISSION – New
- Prepare yourself spiritually for Christmas by joining Sr. Katrina Le and Sr. Gabrielle Cornelio on an Advent mission happening December 8-10 (Tues-Thurs). Each night will begin with Mass at 6:30 p.m. followed by a talk. In addition to being live-streamed, parishioners can also attend in-person by using the online sign up that will be released next week at saintmichael.ca/events.
- For youth: Waiting & Watching is a special Advent experience we’re hosting for youth in grades 7-12 together with Access52, featuring music, prayer, and inspiring talks. This will be on Friday, December 11 at 7 p.m. in the main sanctuary. Youth can choose to join us via live stream or in-person by using the signup that will be released next week.
Christmas Hampers 2020 – New
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, we are unable to hold a large Hamper Day event this year. This will be sad news to those who look forward to participating in this event that is truly a parish highlight every Christmas! Yet, this year we need your assistance more than ever: requests for help at Christmas are coming in, and the Society of St. Vincent de Paul (SSVP) is working to meet the needs and deliver hampers while maintaining the safety of our volunteers and recipients.
Since we’re unable to handle food donations or process Angel Tree gifts, SSVP will instead purchase all required food from our wholesaler and would welcome your support for this in the form of monetary donations. Donations to SSVP may be made through the following (tax receipts will be issued in Jan 2021):
- the collection box
- by using the green envelopes in the SSVP donation bin/lockbox in the gathering area
- online at saintmichael.ca/giving.
Gifts for children: While we are unable to provide gifts, we will be providing gift cards to families with children. Walmart and Superstore gift cards in the amount of $35 are needed for this purpose. Any donations may be dropped at the parish office, labelled SSVP Christmas Hamper Donation, or placed in the SSVP collection bin collection lockbox in the gathering area.
Volunteers: not having Hamper Day event this year also means that we are currently not taking in new volunteers. Further details will be made available as we complete our plans. For more information, email email@example.com.
CATHOLIC EDUCATION SUNDAY
- November 8 marks Catholic Education Sunday — in a special way, we remember and keep in our prayers all the teachers, staff, students, and parents in our school community and thank God for the tremendous gift that is Catholic education. On this day, the Calgary Catholic Education Foundation (CCEF) also reaches out with an appeal that will help faith-based funding for over 59,000 students in 117 Catholic schools in Calgary, Cochrane, Chestermere, and Airdrie. To make a financial donation, please visit www.theccef.ca.
- Read the letter from the Alberta Bishops on Catholic Education Sunday: click here.
- The Diocese has a novena for Catholic education which runs Oct. 29 to Nov. 6. Click here to download the prayer guide.
CATHOLIC MOMS SUMMIT
If you are struggling to find joy within the vocation of motherhood, this Summit is here to help you. Join the online Catholic Moms Summit, November 13-15: dynamic presenters will be sharing inspiration, wisdom, and encouragement from a wide variety of experiences and backgrounds. This event is also a great opportunity for you to connect with other moms just like you from around the world. Register at cardinalstudios.org/moms-summit-home.
See the bulletin for more announcements
32nd Sunday in Ordinary Time, 08/11/2020, 1.07 MB