Bulletin: 3rd Sunday of Lent
What you need to know from this weekend’s bulletin:
Water & Faith
March 12, 2023
· We are recruiting a Children’s Liturgy Coordinator as a paid position as well as volunteers to run the Kid’s Kingdom and other related catechetical programs. This year, we are preparing 133 candidates for First Reconciliation/ First Communion (June 11 celebration) and 101 candidates for Confirmation (May 28). There are 16 catechumens/candidates who are currently in the Rite of Christian Initiation for Christian Adults (RCIA), preparing for the reception of the Sacraments of Initiation this coming Easter.
· Last November, the National Evangelization Team (NET) offered a retreat for Grade 4-7 children (not well attended) and another one for Grade 8-12 students (well attended). The parish has a pending application for a NET team to come this year. Last year’s application was not accepted, due to a lack of NET youth workers. After the NET program, we are hiring a Youth Coordinator to continue and sustain the NET initial efforts. Only recently, Michael Chiasson has agreed to prepare a transitional program for our youth, including a monthly or so Youth Mass/gathering. The monthly youth gathering is now scheduled every last Saturday of the month, starting March 25. He is also coming on March 15, Wednesday, 7pm for a Lenten Night of Music & Reflection.
· Joyce Vayalumkal (as coordinator) with Randy Gritter (an installed Acolyte preparing for his Diaconate) and Michelle Conway (former coordinator) is working on an Altar Servers program manual for the parish. The family-oriented ministry will include a monthly pray/prepare/pizza (PPP) gathering of the altar servers. An Orientation Meeting for those who are interested will be held on Palm Sunday, April 2, after the 11am Mass. Campaign for altar servers will soon be initiated.
· We need more volunteers for practically all our liturgical ministries and other services. Our current numbers are as follows: Ushers/Hospitality Ministers (58), Lectors (38), Extraordinary Ministers of the Holy Eucharist (72), Music Ministry (15 for Sunday 5pm Mass & 45 for the rest of the weekend Masses), Pastoral Care Ministers (2), Kids Kingdom (none), Coffee Ministry (3). We need Hospitality Ministers at the Sunday 5pm Mass. We have also a handful of volunteers helping Francesca in the Sacramental Preparation sessions. Those interested to volunteer have to contact Marvin, our volunteer coordinator or the respective coordinators of the ministries.
· The Gallery of the Pastors will be re-installed.
· The church has recently installed an alarm system with connection with the police authorities. Access to the building will be limited accordingly. For security and wheelchair access (newly installed), the Columbarium is now accessible only to cardholders. Public access has to be arranged with the office or through families who have authorized access cards.
· The Day Chapel renovation is now underway. We need your prayers and financial support.
Lenten Music and Reflection
Wednesday, March 15 at 7pm
Please join us for an evening of music and reflection hosted by Michael Chiasson on Wednesday, March 15 at 7 pm.
God Squad Canada
Registration is open for the 2023 God Squad 26th Annual Conference!
Friday March 17 from 6-9 pm, Saturday March 18 from 9-4 pm at St. Michael’s Catholic Community
Take this opportunity to empower and inspire you to become who God created and calls you to be.
Why should you come to this year’s conference?
Why should you bring another man with you?
To strengthen our culture, our family and our faith. And the way we do that is becoming men of the cross, living our faith from the Cross of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ.
This year’s theme is Memento Mori which invites us to remember our death, that the final things are death, judgment, heaven or hell.
In the sheer silence of our hearts, the Lord’s theophony calls us to be bearers of light and to live for heaven, drawing upon us amidst today’s darkness of spiritual famine and moral confusion.
Register today: https://godsquad.ca/2023-conference-deacon-harold.html
Righteous Sounds of the Passion
Saturday, March 18 at 7pm
Come and experience the Inspirition Band perform songs from their highly anticipated and emotional Good Friday service music on Saturday, March 18, 7 pm in the Mezzanine. Bring someone and listen to the Passion in song. Admission is free.
Saturday, March 18 & Sunday, March 19
The Annual Undie Sunday is back in support of the Elizabeth House on March 18 and 19. At this time, they are seeking women’s personal hygiene items (conditioner, body wash, deodorant, body lotions, hair products), baby lotion and wash, hand soap with pump, towels – all sizes, dish towels and kitchen wash clothes, pots and pans, HE laundry soap, collapsible laundry baskets, double bed sheets and bed in bags, 2T -4T boys and girls clothes, Women’s leggings ( basic black), and Women’s socks and underwear (M- XL). Please note, all items must be NEW. A drop off table will be set up in the main entrance.
Financial donations can be made online & will be matched 50%, please use https://shawcharityclassic.com/charity/participating-charities/elizabeth-house/ . Cash and cheque donations can also be given on March 18 & 19 at the tables. Thank you for your support – Catholic Women’s League and Knights of Columbus.
Baby Blanket Raffle – 6 gorgeous, stroller sized, hand-knitted, 100% acrylic baby blankets are up for raffle with all proceeds going to support the Elizabeth House. Pictures of the blankets can be seen on the poster board in the main gathering area. Tickets can be purchased in person on Undie Sunday, during Mom’s & Tots on Thursday mornings, and also online by sending an etransfer to SMCWLTREASURER@gmail.com with the password of “raffle”. Tickets are 3 for $5 or 1 for $2.
Liturgical Ministers Lenten Retreat
Friday, March 31, 7pm
Please join us for a Liturgical Ministers Lenten Retreat led by Fr. Edmund on Friday, March 31 at 7 pm (following Mass and Stations of the Cross). Enjoy a Lenten fish dinner while you listen to Fr. Edmund; free will offering to the Knights of Columbus. ALL ARE WELCOME!! This retreat will be especially beneficial for volunteers who serve in a liturgical capacity at Mass (Communion Ministers, Proclaimers, Ushers and Choir members) or for anyone who would like to serve as a Liturgical Minister. To register, please call the office at (403) 249 0423.
40 Days for Life Prayer Campaign
Friday, March 31
St. Michael is once again part of this prayer campaign. Over 5000 babies are killed at the Kensington abortion facility every year. 40 Days for Life is a prayerful, respectful campaign that seeks to bring awareness to the inconvenient truth that abortion kills innocent human beings. Our prayerful presence during 40 Days at abortion centres around the world draws attention to the plight of preborn children and seeks God’s help through intercessory prayer. Will you join us? Sign up and be a loving, prayerful voice for the preborn babies who have no voice but ours. We know from the testimonies of many that these campaigns save lives. St. Michael’s day to pray this campaign is Friday, March 31. Please join us and signup online at 40 Days for Life. Click on the “SIGN UP FOR VIGIL HOURS” box and choose an hour or more on Friday, March 31. Please sign up for a time slot between the hours of 10 am to 4pm. Up to four persons can sign up for each one hour time slot. Signs are provided.
St. Michael Catholic Community Pastoral Council
Every month, a dedicated team of Pastoral Council members meet with our Pastor to discuss and advise on issues that affect Saint Michael’s Catholic Community.
At our meeting in February, some of the matters we discussed were:
· Hiring a Children’s Liturgy Coordinator
· Blessing of St. Mary’s Chapel on Divine Mercy Sunday
· The Triduum – help is needed to decorate! Please email Bob firstname.lastname@example.org
· Liturgical Ministers Lenten Retreat on March 31 at 7 pm ALL WELCOME! Register at the office.
If you would like to read the minutes from our most recent meeting, or any past meeting, please go to www.saintmichael.ca/bulletin
Questions? Concerns? Please reach us at (403) 249 0423
Holy Land Pilgrimage
November 13 to 21, 2023
Holy Land Pilgrimage Alert! The deposit ($600) due date for the Pilgrimage to the Holy Land with Fr Edmund this coming November is May 7, after which reservations will be based on availability. Deposits are refundable until May 14. Book now and save $150 per person. Cost: double $5,699, single $6,849 and triple $5,669. For more information visit: gateway.gocollette.com/link/1122663.
Lent & Easter Schedule
Lenten Fridays: March 10, 17, 24 & 31
Mass at 6 pm, Stations of the Cross at 6:30 pm
Parish Reconciliation: Thursday, March 23
Confessions at 6:30 – 8:30 pm
Palm Sunday: April 2
Regular Sunday Masses: 9 am, 11 am, 5 pm
Holy Thursday: April 6
Mass at 7 pm, Adoration following Mass until 11 pm
Good Friday: April 7
Liturgy at 12 pm, 3 pm
Easter Vigil: April 8
Mass at 8 pm
Easter Sunday: April 9
Regular Sunday Masses: 9 am, 11 am, 5 pm
Parish Office: The office will be closed on Good Friday.
3rd Sunday of Lent, 12/03/2023, 748.08 KB