What you need to know from this weekend’s bulletin:
Current Suspension of Public Liturgies Extended
On Friday, March 27, Bishop McGrattan issued a letter which extends the current suspension of all public liturgies indefinitely, including Holy Week and the Triduum. There will be no Masses at St. Michael’s for the time being, An episcopal decree by Bishop McGrattan dispenses Catholics from the Sunday and Easter Obligation during this period. To read the letter, visit www.catholicyyc.ca. To get the latest updates from St. Michael’s, sign up on Flocknote by visiting www.flocknote.com/smcyyc or text “SMCYYC” to 514-900-0130.
The Blessed Sacrament Chapel remains open for private prayer. Fr. John & Fr. Pilmaiken are also available for Confession and/or spiritual direction Monday-Friday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. (see announcement on page 2 for Holy Week & Triduum schedule). Please use the south entrance doors at all times, as the other doors will be locked. We do ask seniors, those with pre-existing health conditions, and more importantly, individuals who are ill or show symptoms of illness to please remain at home.
Distribution of Blessed Palms – New
Fr. John and Fr. Pilmaiken will be handing out blessed palms on Palm Sunday, April 5, from noon to 2 p.m. by the church’s main entrance on the west-side. Please stay inside your vehicle — one of the priests will approach you to hand you a blessed palm. You are encouraged to watch the 10 a.m. live-streamed Mass at www.catholicyyc.ca with Bishop McGrattan.
Holy Thursday Eucharistic Adoration – New
On Holy Thursday, April 9, we will be exposing our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament inside the mezzanine-floor glass windows on the church’s west-side, from 8 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. Parishioners can come to the west-side parking lot and spend time in prayer before our Lord. We ask those coming to please stay inside your car and park at least 1 parking stall apart from each other.
Holy Week & Triduum Updates – New
Mass live stream schedule:
- Palm Sunday, April 5: 10 a.m. at catholicyyc.ca
- Monday-Wednesday of Holy Week: noon at saintmichael.ca/Mass
- The following Masses are streamed live at catholicyyc.ca: Holy Thursday Chrism Mass, April 9: 10 a.m. • Holy Thursday Mass of the Lord’s Supper: 7 p.m. • Good Friday Passion of the Lord, April 10: 3 p.m. • Holy Saturday Easter Vigil, April 11: 9:30 p.m. • Easter Sunday, April 12: 10 a.m.
- Easter Sunday: noon at saintmichael.ca/Mass
Parish Office and Church Building Opening Hours – New
- Monday-Wednesday of Holy Week: Blessed Sacrament Chapel from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. • Confessions from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m.• Parish Office from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Holy Thursday: Blessed Sacrament Chapel from 8 a.m. to noon • Parish Office from 8:30 a.m. to noon • West entrance doors open from 8 p.m. to 11:30 p.m. (only for washroom access during the outdoor Eucharistic Adoration) • No Confessions
- Good Friday: Blessed Sacrament Chapel from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. • Parish Office closed • No Confessions
- Holy Saturday to Easter Monday: Blessed Sacrament Chapel from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. • No Confessions • Parish Office closed
Devotion to the Divine Mercy – New
Bearing in mind all those who have died from the coronavirus and other illnesses, it is an act of charity as Catholics to pray for their souls — that God will grant them mercy and eternal rest. Please consider praying the Chaplet of Divine Mercy for all who have died and for the souls in purgatory. Click here for a guide on how to pray the chaplet.
Good Friday Passion Play – New
If you would like to watch a recording of St. Michael’s Good Friday Passion Play in 2018, a video premiere will be available at 6 p.m. on Friday, April 10, at saintmichael.ca.
Prayers and Spiritual Resources for Families – New
The Diocese has compiled resources for families to use at home during this time, including prayers, liturgies, and simple rituals that you can do at home. Click here to access these resources.
In Memoriam: Fr. Bernie McCosham, OMI
In the charity of your prayers, please remember Fr. Bernie McCosham, OMI who passed away on Saturday, March 21 in Vancouver. Fr. Bernie was Associate Pastor at St. Michael’s back in 1976. If you knew Fr. Bernie and would like to watch his funeral Mass, click here.
Eternal rest grant unto Fr. Bernie O Lord, and let your perpetual light shine upon him. May he rest in peace. Amen.
Do you or someone you know need help?
The following organizations are able to offer assistance:
- Dial 211 for food, shelter, and financial support
- AHS Access Mental Health: is the coronavirus anxiety affecting your mental health? Call 403-943-1500 for non-urgent cases (no referral needed), or call 403-266-4357 if you need immediate help
- Health Link 811: for individuals who are not seriously ill but have flu-like symptoms and have travelled outside Canada or have been exposed to someone who has COVID-19. Call 911 if you are seriously ill or need immediate help.
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul: firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-249-0423 ext. 122
Event Cancellations and Schedule Changes
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, most of our upcoming events have been cancelled and/or postponed to a later date. Visit saintmichael.ca/covid19 for the latest on schedule changes and event cancellations.
See the bulletin for more announcements
Fifth Sunday of Lent, 29/03/2020, 926.95 KB