Parish updates regarding COVID-19
Last updated: Thursday, Dec. 10, 2020
State of Public Health Emergency Declared in Alberta
In accordance with the restrictions set forth by the Alberta Government Tuesday, December 8, St. Michael’s is limiting occupancy for Mass from 300 to 180 people effective Sunday, December 13. This number includes our volunteers.
Further, as all indoor and outdoor social gatherings (both public and private) are prohibited, we remind everyone to please leave the church building once Mass is finished, maintaining proper physical distance. Any form of socializing in the church property is not allowed. Doing so is a violation of a public health order, which is enforced with fines of at least $1,000.
Mask use is mandatory for everyone who enters our church building — including the entirety of Mass, even when seated and stationary in the sanctuary. Those who are not able to wear a mask for medical reasons can be exempt from this regulation except when receiving Holy Communion. All parishioners must wear masks during the Communion Rite, including those receiving a blessing.
This also includes parishioners going for Confession, Eucharistic Adoration, Baptism, and all other sacraments and dealings with the parish office.
Since the dispensation from the Sunday Obligation still applies, anyone who has difficulty and issues with wearing a mask may want to consider staying home and staying safe at this time.
Exceptions to the mandatory mask use include:
- Children under 2
- Individuals with underlying medical conditions or disabilities inhibiting their ability to wear a face covering
- People who are unable to place, use or remove a face covering safely without assistance
- People who are caregiving for or accompanying a person with a disability where wearing a face covering would hinder the accommodation of the person’s disability (for example, the ability to lip read)
Mass times (Pre-registration required):
- Monday-Friday: 9 a.m.
- Saturday: anticipated Sunday Mass at 5 p.m.
- Sunday: 9 a.m., 11 a.m., and 5 p.m.
Please note that Bishop McGrattan’s decree dispensing Catholics from the Sunday obligation remains. This means that even though public Masses have resumed, Catholics are not obliged to attend Mass, and those who attend do so out of their own free will and prudential judgment.
We appreciate everyone’s patience and understanding.
Confession times and opening hours
- Blessed Sacrament Chapel: Mon-Sat from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. • Sundays from noon to 8 p.m.
- Confessions: Fridays from noon to 1 p.m., Saturdays from 3:30 to 4:30 p.m., or by appointment (visit contact page to reach our priests).
- Parish Office: Mon-Fri from 9:30 a.m. to noon
- Eucharistic Adoration: Fridays from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.
In keeping with the Government of Alberta’s mandatory mass gathering restrictions, please observe the following:
- When visiting the Blessed Sacrament Chapel for private prayer, there should be no more than 15 people together at any time
- Observe at least 2 metres of physical distancing
- Those who are ill, show symptoms of illness (however mild), as well as individuals from “demographic groups at greater risk of severe disease, such as people 60 years of age or older and individuals with chronic medical conditions” should stay home.
If you would like to stay connected with other parishioners and offer assistance (i.e. offering to pick up groceries for those in physical isolation, etc.), join our public Facebook group.
What St. Michael’s is doing to ensure your safety:
- Implementing a more frequent cleaning and sanitizing schedule. This includes sanitizing the sanctuary seats after every Mass, washrooms, and other high-contact surfaces.
- We’ve made several hand sanitizing stations available throughout the church building.
- Designating specific entrance and exit-only points to ensure traffic flows in one direction
- Blocking off certain sections in the sanctuary to ensure physical distancing during Mass
Do you or someone you know need help?
The following organizations are able to offer assistance:
- Dial 211 for food, shelter, and financial support
- AHS Access Mental Health: is the coronavirus anxiety affecting your mental health? Call 403-943-1500 for non-urgent cases (no referral needed), or call 403-266-4357 if you need immediate help
- Health Link 811: for individuals who are not seriously ill but have flu-like symptoms and have travelled outside Canada or have been exposed to someone who has COVID-19. Call 911 if you are seriously ill or need immediate help.
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul: email@example.com or 403-249-0423 ext. 122
- See: How to apply for EI and COVID-19 emergency benefits
Event Cancellations & Schedule Changes
- Weekly Eucharistic Adoration is back every Friday beginning May 15, from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. Prior sign-up is required as we can only admit up to 12 people every hour. Visit saintmichael.ca/faithformation for the sign up link.
- All Moms and Tots in-church meet-ups (Fridays at 9:45 a.m.) are cancelled until further notice
- Pastoral Care services at Wentworth Manor and Wentworth Court have been cancelled until further notice.
- Youth Ministry: ROOTS Youth (Monday nights) and UNITE youth nights (Thursday nights) are cancelled. Youth are asked to connect with us on Instagram (@onthursdaynights) for upcoming faith content via IGTV.