“Take courage! It is I, the Lord.”
St. Michael’s response to COVID-19
Parish updates regarding COVID-19
Last updated: Monday, April 6 at 8:45 a.m.
Holy Week & Triduum schedule:
Visit saintmichael.ca/lent to view our full Holy Week & Triduum schedule, including information on our Holy Thursday outdoor Eucharistic Adoration, Confession times, parish office hours, etc.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, Bishop McGrattan issued his latest letter on Friday evening, March 27, which extends the suspension of all Masses in the Diocese of Calgary indefinitely, including Holy Week and Triduum. There will be no Masses at St. Michael’s for the time being.
Our church remains open for private prayer from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. daily, while our parish office is open Mon-Fri from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Our priests are also available to hear Confessions Mon-Fri from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. or by appointment.
In keeping with the Government of Alberta’s mandatory mass gathering restrictions, please observe the following:
- When visiting the Blessed Sacrament Chapel for private prayer, there should be no more than 15 people together at any time
- Observe at least 2 metres of physical distancing
- Those who are ill, show symptoms of illness (however mild), as well as individuals from “demographic groups at greater risk of severe disease, such as people 60 years of age or older and individuals with chronic medical conditions” should stay home.
If you would like to stay connected with other parishioners and offer assistance (i.e. offering to pick up groceries for those in physical isolation, etc.), join our public Facebook group.
Mass Live Stream Schedule
- Daily & Sunday Mass webcast every 12 noon at saintmichael.ca/Mass
- 8:30 a.m. weekday Mass from St. Peter’s Church: watch it on their website or via Facebook Live.
- 10 a.m. Sunday Mass from St. Mary’s Cathedral with Bishop McGrattan presiding: catholicyyc.ca
- Salt + Light TV: Daily Mass and Sunday Mass at 9 a.m., 1 p.m., and 8:30 p.m.
- Daily Mass with Bishop Robert Barron & Fr. Steve Grunow is also available at wordonfire.org/daily-mass.
Triduum Masses: the following Holy Week and Triduum Masses will be celebrated by Bishop McGrattan from St. Mary’s Cathedral and will be live-streamed at catholicyyc.ca:
- Chrism Mass: Thursday, April 9 at 10 a.m.
- Holy Thursday: April 9 at 7 p.m.
- Good Friday: April 10 at 3 p.m.
- Easter Vigil: April 11 at 9:30 p.m.
- Easter Sunday: April 12 at 10 a.m.
How can we pray for you?
If you have any prayer intentions, use the form below so our prayer teams can pray for you!
Do you or someone you know need help?
The following organizations are able to offer assistance:
- Dial 211 for food, shelter, and financial support
- AHS Access Mental Health: is the coronavirus anxiety affecting your mental health? Call 403-943-1500 for non-urgent cases (no referral needed), or call 403-266-4357 if you need immediate help
- Health Link 811: for individuals who are not seriously ill but have flu-like symptoms and have travelled outside Canada or have been exposed to someone who has COVID-19. Call 911 if you are seriously ill or need immediate help.
- Society of St. Vincent de Paul: firstname.lastname@example.org or 403-249-0423 ext. 122
- See: How to apply for EI and COVID-19 emergency benefits
Event Cancellations & Schedule Changes
- Body Language in Ministry and Health Care to be facilitated by Dr. Mark Kolodziej on April 25 has been cancelled. If you’ve already purchased tickets for this course, Rosalie (email@example.com) will get in touch with you for your refund.
- Eucharistic Adoration: while people are welcome to come for private prayer, there will be no organized Friday Eucharistic Adoration until further notice.
- Confessions: Monday-Friday from 4 p.m. to 6 p.m. or by appointment (visit saintmichael.ca/lent for our Holy Week & Triduum Confessions schedule)
- Creative Arts Open Studio (every 2nd and 4th Wednesday of the month): cancelled until further notice
- Undie Sunday: the Knights and CWL’s annual fundraiser scheduled on the weekend of March 20-21 has been postponed to a later date.
- Art Walk: this year’s event, scheduled on the weekend of March 28-29, has been cancelled. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- All Moms and Tots meet-ups (Fridays at 9:45 a.m.) are cancelled until further notice
- Monday Night Bible Studies: future sessions of the Acts – Spread of the Kingdom Bible study have been cancelled.
- Rosary Group: the Tuesday evening Rosary group is also cancelled until further notice.
- Family Compass: the series of workshops organized by the Schoenstatt Apostolic Movement (beginning Saturday, March 21), has been postponed to a later date. If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
- Pastoral Care services at Wentworth Manor and Wentworth Court have been cancelled until further notice.
- Youth Ministry: ROOTS Youth (Monday nights) and UNITE youth nights (Thursday nights) are cancelled. Youth are asked to connect with us on Instagram (@onthursdaynights) for upcoming faith content via IGTV.
- English Language Learners: our Tuesday morning ELL classes have been cancelled until April 23.
- The 40 Days for Life vigil on April 2 has been cancelled. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Living Stations of the Cross by ROOTS Youth and the soup-and-bun potluck on Friday, April 3 have been cancelled
- Family Easter Eggstravaganza (Easter Sunday, April 12), has been cancelled.
- Coffee fellowship after the Sunday morning Masses are cancelled until April 19
- Women’s Ministry: our monthly Coffee Connections and Lectio: Evangelization sessions are currently cancelled (until further notice)
- Men’s Ministry: That Man is You sessions on Wednesday mornings are currently cancelled. All inquiries can be directed to email@example.com.
What you can do
Keeping Sunday holy when we cannot gather for Mass
This is indeed a painful time for Catholics who live on the Eucharist and the sacramental life of the Church as a source of sanctifying grace and strength. However, this can be an opportunity to intensify your interior life of prayer through the different practices and devotions of our Catholic faith.
LECTIO DIVINA & READING SCRIPTURE
Parishioners are encouraged to pray and reflect on the daily readings and practice Lectio Divina, using resources such as The Daily Gospel. You can also login to FORMED and watch the weekly Opening the Word, which offers a prayerful reflection on the Sunday readings. (Don’t have a FORMED account? Claim your free account by going to saintmichael.formed.org).
You can also watch the televised Sunday Mass on Salt+Light TV or through the online live stream at saltandlighttv.org at 9 a.m., 1 p.m., and 8:30 p.m. every Sunday (Mountain Time), at St. Peter Parish’s Facebook page daily at 8:30 a.m., and from the Diocese of Calgary every Sunday at 10 a.m.
PRAY THE LITURGY OF THE HOURS
The Liturgy of the Hours, or the Divine Office, is the daily prayer of the Church which marks the hours of each day and sanctify it with prayer. To learn more and begin praying this venerable practice of Catholic Tradition, visit universalis.com.
The following websites offer wholesome Catholic content that could minister to your spiritual needs during this time: